You think the internet is mostly going through satellites? So it’s time to debunk this myth and know the truth! This week Business Insider released a video showing an animated map of all the internet undersea cables. And it looks like a giant printed circuit board! Here is the video:

The first undersea cable was laid across the English Channel in 1850 and it was a telegraph cable. It was very different from our undersea fiber optic cables. Speeds were extremely slow, it took 2 minutes to transfer the first message and it was a one character message. Now the cables have evolved and there are more than 550.000 miles (885.100 Km) of cables undersea it’s more than twice the distance between the Earth and the Moon.

Today undersea cables look like that:

Undersea cable And this is what’s in the middle, the fiber that transfers all the data:

And this is what’s in the middle, the fiber that transfers all the data is as thin as a hair: Fiber optic
All these steel cables are here to protect the glass fiber in the middle. The glass itself is extremely fragile but with all these steel cables around it, make a heavy duty cable that can resist to sharks, earthquakes, and they can survive more than 25,000 feet below the water.

Many people believe a huge part of the internet is going through satellites but in fact, it’s only 1%, the other 99% is going through those undersea cables. And it’s logical because using satellites increase the latency and make a slower connection.

This video reminds me another one on how internet cables are laid in the ocean, it was published in December 2016 by Nat and Friends it’s called A Journey To The Bottom Of The Internet:

Advertisements